Kelp Meal ( 1 – 0 – 1 ) with 1% Calcium
Uses: As a top dressing around trees and shrubs and houseplants. May also be sprinkled on lawns, mixed into garden beds or used in planting holes. It can also be made into a tea and use for watering or a foliar spray.
Coast of Maine Organic Products Kelp Meal is a soil amendment providing a valuable source of macro- and micro-nutrients that promotes healthier plants and improved crop yields. It is made from dehydrated and ground Norwegian Kelp (Ascophyllum Nodosum).
This product complies with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) rules.
Available in 4lb bags.
Norwegian Kelp, or Ascophyllum nodosum (or common rockweed), is an exceptional, all-natural soil amendment and fertilizer. When dehydrated and ground into a meal, Norwegian Kelp is a valuable source of macro- and micro-nutrients (mostly in trace quantities). It is 100% natural, environmentally friendly and can also be safely used around trees and shrubs, on lawns, added to container gardens and incorporated into garden beds.
How to Use
- Make a Kelp Meal tea – This recipe can be used both to water your plants and as a foliar spray. Mix ¼ cup of kelp meal into one gallon of water, let it steep for 2-3 days (agitating it daily). If you use the tea as a foliar spray, strain the solids out using cloth so that it won’t clog your sprayer. One pound equals 2.5 cups.
- Use as a soil top-dressing – Hand apply Kelp Meal in the spring after the weather warms, watering-in after each application.
- New garden beds – Use 2 lbs. per 100 sq. ft. Mix into the top 2-3” of soil.
- Established beds – Side-dress 3 lbs. per 100 sq. ft. twice during the growing season.
- Rows of vegetable plants – Use 2 lbs. per 100 foot row twice during the growing season.
- Planting holes – For 1 gallon pot size or less, add 1 tbs. per planting hole. Larger than 1 gallon, add 2 tbs. per planting hole. Mix into the soil and water-in after planting.
- Lawns – Use 10 pounds per 100 sq. ft. in the spring.
- Trees and shrubs – Use 1 pound per inch of trunk diameter around the drip line of the tree once yearly. Rake it into the soil.
- Houseplants – Top-dress 2 tsp. per gallon of soil twice during the growing season.
Our Organic Plant Food supplements, including Kelp Meal, are all single source fertilizers that comply with the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) rules and are included in the NOP listing of all-natural, non-synthetic substances permitted in organic production.
Caution: This product is non-toxic, but do not take internally, keep sealed, out of reach of children and pets and in a cool, dry place. Wash hands and exposed skin with soap and water after handling. This product meets the guidelines for metals adopted by the Association of American Plant Food Control Officials. Information regarding the contents and levels of metals in this product is available at https://www.regulatory-info-cm.com/